This event has been cancelled.
|Location:||Lake Kainui, Horsham Downs, Hamilton|
|Date:||Sunday 17th July 2022|
|Time:||9.45am for a 10am start|
|Meeting Place:||Car Park opposite 398 Lake Rd, Horsham Downs|
|Directions:||Click here to view the location on Google Maps|
|Parking:||Car Park opposite 398 Lake Rd, Horsham Downs, and down the driveway at the bottom|
Meeting Place: Car Park opposite 398 Lake Rd Horsham Downs- off Lake Rd and down the driveway at the bottom– see photos below and look out for the Auckland Beagle Club flag. There are toilets here but be advised – it is a long drop!!
Route: This is a very picturesque flat walk with a metal track suitable for prams and wheelchairs. Lake Kanui is a peat lake of about 25 hectares. Most of the areas with larger trees have been turned into Fairy Forests with elaborate decorations by schoolchildren. The walk is exposed to wind off the lake so dress appropriately. The
lake is sometimes subject to algae bloom after heavy rains so look for the warning signs and dogs should not go in the water or drink it. Please note there are no rubbish bins on the walk.
Directions: Coming from the North, head south on SHW 1
* Take the Gordonton/Taupiri exit
* Keep left to continue on Gordonton Road/SHW 1B, follow signs for Cambridge
* After 5.4 Kms, turn Right onto Lake Road (signs for Horotui)
* Travel 4.8 Kms to arrive at entrance of Lake Kainui (Lake D) on your right
* Parking down the drive way.
* Take SHW 1 & turn off at Ngaruawahia/Horotui off ramp
* Take first exit at round about toward Horotui
* Turn right at the lights onto Horotui Bridge Road – over bridge to roundabout
* Take first left onto River Road
* Drive 400m and turn Right onto Lake Road (Signs for Horsham Downs)
* Stay on Lake Road 4.1 Kms and turn left where it meets with Horsham Downs Road at a T intersection and entrance to Lake Kainui is on left about 1 Km
Walk Time: Approximately 60 minutes.
On leash/Off leash: This is an on lead walk at all times because there may be nesting waterfowl. Fine of $300 applies if caught off leash. Please contact Ray Linton Brown on 021618465 if you have any queries.
Cup of Tea anyone? Can I please encourage you all to stay and socialize after the walk? The club will be providing free morning tea for members. Non-members welcome to join, koha donation.
Remember: It is advisable not to leave any valuables in vehicles, and to wear appropriate clothing and footwear for poor weather conditions and off-road walking.
Don’t forget to take water and poo bags for your dogs.
Rain, hail or shine the Beagle Club walks go ahead!
Non members are welcome to attend up to three of our beagle walks, after that, we would love for you to become a member. Membership fee is $20 per year ($10 for the current year due to less walks) and includes benefits such as snacks and drinks after some of the walks, and a regular newsletter.
Please always bring doggy doo bags and leads.
Contact Ray on 021 618 465 for any additional information or questions regarding the walk.
Please turn up in plenty of time on the day so that walks can start promptly.