The Beagle is experiencing an increase in popularity in recent times, no doubt in part because of their visibility at International Airports where they are trained to detect bio-security risks from fruits, plants and meat products. Their appealing looks and happy personality attract many who think they would like to own a Beagle. If you are one of those, please read and consider the following information carefully.
BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO PURCHASE A BEAGLE, ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
- Do you have a JUMP proof, DIG proof, CHEW proof, and CLIMB proof fence that completely encloses your backyard and is at least 1.5 metres high? Beagles are scent hounds and also very inquisitive, so will want to go wherever their nose leads, regardless of traffic or other dangers.
- Will your new Beagle have COMPANY (either another dog or a human companion) for most of the day? Beagles are pack animals and need to have the security of others.
- Are you prepared to EXERCISE your Beagle daily for up to an hour? Beagles have great stamina and need regular, sustained walks and may need to be ON A LEAD at all times.
- Are you prepared to commit some time every day TRAINING your Beagle? A well-behaved dog makes for a safe and enjoyable experience for you as well as your Beagle.
- Are you prepared to have your garden and lawn become an ADVENTURE PLAYGROUND for your Beagle? Beagles like to dig, sniff, bury their treasures, scratch up your plants (especially if fertilizers are present), and are very vigorous in exploring their environment.
- Are you prepared to commit to this Beagle for 12-15 years?
If you answered NO to any of the above questions, then a Beagle may not be the best choice for your lifestyle.